Monday 12 March 2012

More men bicycle than women

Men bicycle a lot more than women according to a survey made in Reykjavik Iceland. The survey focused on commuters within the city. Pressan web media, asked Oddny Sturludottir, a member of the Reykjavik city council. "There's probably many reasons," she said. "The bicycle culture has in some way been based on the assumption that everyone bicycling needs to use expensive bicycle and equipment in order to be able to bicycle all year round. This appeals, it seems, more to men than women. Further, the explanation may be found in the way that the sexes delegate tasks, such as picking up the children from the Kindergarten, shop for groceries etc. And Reykjavik must be a safe city to bicycle in, I'm certain that in this context it is important."

And Oddny Sturludottir continues:

"We must find ways to ensure that women bicycle as much as men. Women bicycle just as much as men in the cities where there is a strong bicycle culture. Role models also matter. If women bicycle less because they think the surroundings are not safe enough, then they're sceptical about cycling with their children. If this is the case we'll struggle to raise new generations of bicycling public."

1 comment:

  1. Flexibility is key for me when it comes to transportation. It's one of the reasons I got a folding bike to keep in my car. I drive when I need to, but since I've always got the bike on hand, I ride whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete

Reykjavik Bike Tour

Reykjavik Bike Tour
Click on the picture for information on bicycle tours in Iceland